Thursday 12 January 2012

India

Just before Christmas, H and I travelled to India for a friend's wedding. We took the opportunity to visit a few other places that I have always wanted to see. So I thought I would share with you some of my favourite foods and memories from the trip!



Kolkata
The wedding was held here over four days, and the food was amazing! So much fresh fish, marinated and served so many different ways. I didn't know the names of most of the fish nor was I sure of the ingredients but when a plate came to the table accompanied by freshly cooked chapati there was no way I was going to refuse!




Mustard was a commonly used ingredient in most of the cooking. These fish were flavourful and perfectly cooked although I did have to keep an eye out for the bones!


I took this picture because I love the giant kadai, I wish I could fit one in my kitchen! And look at those potatoes! If not for the boiling oil I would have reached right in to steal some.


The romali roti (its means something like 'handkerchief' because it is roughly the same thickness) was addictive. So thin and perfect to wrap around chicken curry pieces and freshly cooked prawns!


And of course we need a wedding picture! The bride and groom looked amazing each day and it was such an honour to share the event with them :)


Agra
The Taj Mahal exceeded all my expectations. It was simply the most beautiful building I have ever seen. The marble is cool to the touch and looks immaculate. What looks like painted Koran verses on the outside are actually inset gems!



Himachal Pradesh
Ok so I know this is not a food picture or iconic Indian attraction picture but the scenery is so nice that it deserves a special mention. The Himalayas are beautiful at the start of winter.


























I wish I had taken some pictures of the momos (dumplings) that were sold on most of the street corners. The food in Daramshalla was incredible and I would happily eat it every day!


Amritsar
Its tempting to compare the Taj Mahal and the Golden Temple but I would advise not trying! The Golden Temple glistens in the sunlight, exudes tranquility and may well be the quietest place in India. The water surrounding it was home to koi and small goldfish and gave the entire complex an ethereal feel. 



Everywhere

There were two constants throughout the country, dhabas and chai. No matter what time of night nor which road, a dhaba would be open just when you needed it! Right after visiting the Golden Temple we went to an amazing dhaba and proceeded to eat our bodyweight in roti and kulcha filled with potato and cauliflower. Who needs fancy restaurants and fast food chains when this food is so cheap and tasty?





It was an amazing two weeks!

(A special mention must go to H for all the help with pictures for this post!)

1 comments:

Post a Comment

 
A Delicious Life - Blogger Templates, Wordpress Templates Free - by Templates para novo blogger HD TV Watch Entourage Online. Featured on Local Business Singapore