Wednesday 26 September 2012

Cheat Sausage Rolls


Hello all!

Yes I have been on hiatus, and yes I will continue to blame my lack of full time internet and not the hours of my new job and my inherent laziness. But I'm back now and with a recipe that if nothing else will exhibit the aforementioned laziness- cheat sausage rolls!

Why are they cheat sausage rolls you ask? Because they involve very little effort yet provide maximum reward. My Mum (legend that she is) gave me this shortcut recipe a long time ago and more than once have I made these and received compliments for having made homemade sausage rolls. He he, if only they all knew the truth!

Ingredients

- 500g of sausages (I used Lamb Bush Tomato & Herb but anything flavourful will work)
- 2 big spoons of tomato paste
- 1 glove of garlic, minced or crushed
-  2 sheets of puff pastry, slightly thawed
- 1 egg, beaten 

Method

1. Pre heat the oven to approximately 180 degrees celcius (fan forced) and line a tray with baking paper.

2. Cut the ends off the sausages and squeeze all the meat out of the casings and into a bowl.

Here are some I prepared earlier!

3. Add the tomato paste and garlic. You can also add any other kind of seasoning or even some chopped up  veggies if you want.

mmm... delicious!
4. Mix well. This is ideally done with your hands. You want the garlic and tomato paste to be nicely mixed in with the meat.

5. Use a knife to cut a line down the middle of each sheet of pastry. Take a good scoop of the meat, roll it in your hands to make a rough sausage shape and lay it across the centre of each of the pastry sheets. Make sure you bring the meat right to each edge.



6. Roll the pastry over, making sure there is a nice overlap at the bottom.



7. Brush the top of the pastry with the beaten egg, then slice each roll into as many pieces as desired. If you are feeling fancy, put some sesame seeds on top. 

As you can see, I wasn't feeling fancy
8. Place the rolls on the tray, and bake in the over for approximately 25 minutes or until golden. Note, if you haven't used an egg wash, they won't go as golden as in the picture. Then, enjoy, preferably with tomato sauce!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
A Delicious Life - Blogger Templates, Wordpress Templates Free - by Templates para novo blogger HD TV Watch Entourage Online. Featured on Local Business Singapore