Wednesday 7 November 2012

Food First

So seeing that I am back in Singapore for four months you would think that I would be posting about some delicious Singaporean food that is not available in Australia and that I missed trying the first time.

Well, unfortunately that is not the case. This post is about a food that is much more humble, and a lot healthier than my favourite hawker centre foods.


This post is about the humble apple. That's right the apple. But not just any apple. Today, I had my first taste of an apple from New Zealand.

Here it is:



This may mean nothing to some of you, but being from Australia this is actually a big deal. The importation of apples from New Zealand into Australia was banned in 1919 due I believe to bio security fears, specifically fire blight which hasn't yet made its way to our shores (yay for being an island!). 

Even though the ban was lifted in 2011, I've never seen any apples from New Zealand for sale in Australia. So for me, it was a bit of a big deal to see this little red piece in the fruit bowl at work.

The sticker called it a 'Queen' a variety I've never had before. In fact, when I saw it nestled amongst the kiwi fruit and plums I kind of thought it was a strange looking nectarine. Whoops.

But onto the important question- what did it taste like?

Well, it was crunchy and just a little bit juicy. In fact, it was  like a pink lady but a lot less sweet. Very nice actually. According to the internet queen apples have a flavour 'a lot like a fuji' but personally I find fuji apples to be a tad flourly. Overall it was a pretty good apple, particularly at 4:30 pm when I needed either food or a nap under my desk. 

I think I will always be a pink lady girl but I was definitely impressed with this. 

So watch out little queen apples in the fruit bowl- I'm coming for you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
A Delicious Life - Blogger Templates, Wordpress Templates Free - by Templates para novo blogger HD TV Watch Entourage Online. Featured on Local Business Singapore