Wednesday 20 July 2011

Singaporean Deliciousness

So my friend N recently returned from a trip home to Singapore. Anytime that I know someone is going or even passing through I give them a list, and there are two things I generally always want- kaya, and more kaya!

And I was not disappointed! Look at the goodies I got today:


On the left you will see the nyonya kaya, on the right the plain kaya. The difference is in the addition of the pandan, which makes the nyonya kaya green. If you are not sure what kaya is, have a look here. Yes, it may sound a bit strange, but hey so does vegemite and it also amazing. I eat kaya a little differently to some people, but everyone has their own opinion on how it should be eaten- it's all about personal taste.

You may notice the t-shirt that is underneath the jars? Well, my friend brought that back for me as well! Yes, it does indeed say I  SG! But what can I say, I do have a soft spot. Who wouldn't love a country that led to me eating kaya today? It would be like not loving the country that gave me vegemite!



When I got home to the safety of my kitchen I opened the nyonya kaya (my personal favourite). Look at the texture, the creaminess, the deliciousness! (Yes, I was excited).

But, I withheld until after dinner. Then I made a piece of toast with peanut butter and kaya. Mmmmmm, the best thing that happened all day!

N also brought back for me a pack of 3 in 1 Cadbury hot chocolate drinks.

They are great to keep in my desk draw, just add water for an afternoon pick me up! I used to drink these when I was studying in Singapore, despite the hot weather the libraries are very cold and a hot drink is always welcome when you are studying. I could not resist making one this afternoon, and the first sip reminded me of sitting and studying in the air conditioned rooms of PGP! It was a very nice feeling. For those who are interested, I've included a picture of what it looks like made up. The creamer gives it that lovely faux crema effect and underneath that is the chocolatey goodness.

But back to the kaya! While I would love to eat the entire two jars on toast with peanut butter, I feel I should make a bit more use of them than that. So, at the request of a colleague who also has a fondness for kaya deliciousness, I will attempt to add the kaya to some baked or other treats. Then I can share the failures and successes not only with my work friends but also with you all! It will be an adventure!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
A Delicious Life - Blogger Templates, Wordpress Templates Free - by Templates para novo blogger HD TV Watch Entourage Online. Featured on Local Business Singapore